Saturday, November 3, 2012

These next pictures I took while riding in a taxi on my way from Dakar, where I flew into, to Fatick, where I stayed.  This was about a 3 hour drive, sharing the road with cars, small buses, motos(small motorcycles), horse carts, and walkers.  I now know where New York gets their cab drivers!
During the week I visited, the people were getting ready to celebrate a muslim holiday, Tabaski Day. Tabaski Day is when Abraham sacrificed Ischmael to God. (So they believe, but as Christians we know this is not true). Anyway, to celebrate Tabaski Day, they slaughter a sheep and then cook it and eat it.  So, on the 3 hour drive, I saw more sheep on the side of the road for sell than I have seen in my entire life.  I did get a sense of the long ago sheep herders during Jesus'  time, how the shepherds took care of their flocks.  These sheep really are docile and depend on their herders to know where to go.  I can imagine one getting lost, and not knowing how to get back to the flock without the guidance of the shepherd.  Just like we are lost with our Christ to lead us. 

 On the side of the road you will find these "merchants"with all manner of goods to sell.  They do not work out of buildings, but display their wares outside. 


Here is one of the horse carts sharing the road. These are a form of  a taxi.  I actually got to ride one.  I'm just glad there was no camer around when I was trying to heave myself up on the platform!


The above photo shows an ant hill---probably about 4feet high! I would hate to see the ants!
 

Here is one of the buses, so full of people that some hang on where they can! You would never see this in the U.S.  I even saw buses with racks on top that held not only bags and luggage, but furniture and even sheep! Yes, sheep! They have to get it home somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment