Saturday, November 3, 2012

Looking down on the city of Dakar from the lighthouse.
 
                                                The Lighthouse of Dakar, built in 1864

Just some pretty fauna up near the lighthouse.
When I finally got to the airport, Kim and Sherrill let me out and I proceeded to find my way inside to where I needed to check in. A kind gentleman approached me, I'm sure I looked bewildered, and asked if I needed help. I told him I was flying to Washington, D.C. and he showed me where the gate was.  He also helped me fill out my customs paperwork.  As I thanked him, he asked if I would like to reward him for his help with some money,maybe for a cup of coffee.  Of course, I obliged.
Then as I waited with the others for our check in personnel to appear, I could feel the sweat running down my back, as my hands sweated.  Also, you just don't wear make-up here -- it just melts off your face.  I am now dreaming of a nice COLD coke to quinch my thirst, but am afraid to get out of line.  The more you think about it, the more you want it!  FINALLY, here we go.  We can check in.  After answering questions about what you have in your bag, you get to proceed to the check in desk where the ladies are so nice.  Seriously, they are.  It was a pleasure to be helped by them.  Even if they spoke only a little English.
Handing over my luggage, I hurry away to find the gate.  Again looking a little puzzled, the same kind man approached me and pointed me in the right direction.  And this time he didn't ask for anything.  :)
I wander along and find a seat, fortunately I was one of the first ones at the gate, otherwise,you might not get to sit down as there were a couple of guys laying across four seats each trying to catch a few zzzzz's.
Oh!I see a bar and hurredly walk over and ask if they have Coka (Coke).  YES!  For $4!  I don't care!.  That is the fastest I have ever devoured one.  Boy it was good.
Fortunately I still have a seat and continue my wait.  Randomly I glance up from my Kindle and one of the men working the gate motions for me to get in line.  I look around to see if he's talking to me.  Yes!  So I go get in line, where they proceed to search my purse/carryone.  Then I love up, and a female attendant searches me. Then, yea, I get to go out the door to a waiting bus that will take us to the plane (airbus).  As I wander past first class and their reclining seats, I'm thankful for a safe and exciting week with my longtime friend, and my new friends.    I arrive at my aisle seat, gather up my blanket and packet of socks/eye mask, toothbrush and toothpaste and headphones, compliments of African Airlines, and settle in for the 9 hour flight.  We leave just about on time, around 1:30 a.m. Senegal time.  I watch a movie, "Dark Knight Rises" (yes, this is my 3rd or 4th time to see it, but who is counting), read my Kindle some, and then try to take a little nap.  I'm sure anyone who has flown knows how difficult that is.  But, I do get alittle rest. 
We arrive in Washington a few minutes late.  This is a little worrisome as you have to go get your luggage, then go through customs, then recheck your luggage and hurry to your gate.  Taking a wrong turn, I realize my mistake and worry that Howard will be waiting for me as  I will have missed my flight.  But, God is with me, and directs me to the correct gate and I make it in plenty of time.  In fact, our flight leaves a little early and we arrive in Raleigh, NC 15 minutes EARLY.  I walk off the plane directly to luggage pick up and there's my bag waiting on me!  Unbelievable. 
Imagine my happiness to see the Batmobile pulling up with Howard and Trixie inside.  After greeting my hubby, I get in the car and Trixie proceeds to bombard me with little doggie kisses---she missed me!  How sweet. 
Thank you Howard for making this trip possible.  And thank you God for a safe trip, and for allowing me to see our faithful missionaries at work.  What a blessing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment